Stay in honeymoon bliss while abroad
You’ve spent months planning the rehearsal dinner, the bridal tea, the wedding and the reception. When it’s time to get away for the honeymoon, you don’t want to be caught off guard when you travel overseas. This is your time to sit back, relax and cherish the time with your newlywed. Your weather app might say it will be sunny and clear the whole week in Greece, but why leave it to chance? And what if husband eats that special dish while in Mexico that just doesn’t sit well later? It’s important to make sure you pack what you need and while staying within your 50 pound check-in limit when it comes time to leave. Here’s a simple list of what to make sure you pack besides the usual suspects or you can Pin your list if you’re a little more visual.
1. Passport + airline ticket – If you have never applied for a passport, make sure you do at least two months in advance since it takes four to six weeks for it to be processed (costs jump steeply if you need expedited processing.) If you do have a passport already, make sure to check the expiration date. Nothing would be more devastating than getting to security check and then being turned away from paradise!
2. Rain jacket + umbrella – Even if the 10-day forecast shows nothing but sunshine, having these two travel essentials makes certain a little rain won’t ruin your plans! Add a trench coat to your packing list to stay chic while it rains.
3. Camera – Don’t solely rely on your phone to capture all your precious moments! Back up is necessary when you don’t want to miss a moment on this once in a lifetime trip.
4. Adaptors – Remember that every country doesn’t use the same outlets that the U.S. does. Save yourself the trouble and buy an adaptor so you can still use all your appliances (hairdryer, laptop, phone chargers, etc.) while traveling.
5. Swim suit – Whether the resort you two are staying at has a pool/hot tub or your husband suggests a quick trip to the beach, packing a yellow polka dot bikini never hurt anyone.
6. Medication & supplements – This includes any over-the-counter medication like Advil, antihistamines and antacids or any medication that you take regularly. Don’t make the mistake of assuming a drug store near you will carry what you need.
7. Guidebook – When you’ve only got a week, you want to make sure you don’t miss out on anything. Skim a guidebook to get ideas of daily to-do’s!
8. Credit card and/or currency- It’s actually better to use your credit card because the rates of exchange will be less than if you actual changed currency, not to mention it’s more convenient.
9. X-Large sealable bags – It makes packing more efficient. If your bag is searched at customs, it makes repacking easy as pie and it’s the easiest way to stow a week’s worth of laundry!
10. Comfortable pair of shoes- This may be last on our list, but in no way is it least important. Most people think you have to sacrifice comfort for style when there are plenty of chic shoes that don’t cause you to wince after a few hours. Personally, we vote Tory Burch!
Be sure to check our Honeymoon Packing List on Pinterest!
Article submitted by: Sheyda Mehrara, Auburn University